I’m not normally a homemade cake person. I’ve tried both homemade and mixes, and find a lot of homemade recipes to be dry, and fairly expensive to make. I’ve heard good things about the Hershey Perfectly Chocolate Cake though, and the recipe is simple enough, so I decided to give it a whirl with just a few minor changes.
It’s amazing. So rich and chocolatey and not dry in the slightest. It’s a gorgeous almost black color, which contrasts perfectly with the mint chocolate chip buttercream. It’s one of my favorite cakes I’ve ever made, and I hope you try it and love it too!!
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened, Dutch process cocoa powder (I used Hershey Special Dark)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, slightly softened
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp mint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Drop or two of green food coloring
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 eight or nine inch pans.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together until fully combined. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then slowly stir in the boiling water. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for 30 -40 minutes, until tops of cakes spring back when you lightly touch in the center.
- Get full recipe==>>confessionsofacookbookqueen.com