There came a point where I had to ask just somebody, “Is Applebee’s getting worse?” Or as a kid did I just have a really low food standard?
When I was 10 years old, I viewed Applebee’s as the highest culinary achievement in dining. The food there was sooooo good. Then, I went back about a year ago and it was, well Applebee’s. I think maybe both happened. I grew up and they got a little more… frozen? Microwaved?
(Same question to Forever 21. Am I getting more modest or are you getting more trashy? Ready for this see-through t-shirt trend to be over).
Pancake mixes are my final example. As a young pup at many slumber parties, waking up the next morning and making pancakes (from a box) was the actual best and I just sat at my plate wondering if food could get any better.
Fast forward fifteen years and I make these homemade p-cakes after living a life of box mixes. I nearly dropped my fork.
Oh, this is what pancakes can taste like.
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Add in milk, egg, butter, and vanilla and whisk until evenly distributed.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with butter and heat over medium-low heat. Pour in 1/4 cup batter.
- Flip when bubbles appear. Cook opposite side until slightly golden. Repeat with remaining batter, coating skillet again with butter after each batch.
- Get full recipe==>>rachelschultz.com