This gluten free sponge cake is light and airy, and so simple to make. Serve it with fresh whipped cream and strawberries on a hot day. It's perfect for Memorial Day, or any day!
- 4 eggs (200 g, out of shell), separated
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (or 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice)
- 10 tablespoons (88 g) Basic Gum Free Gluten Free Flour Blend (58 g superfine white rice flour + 19 g potato starch + 11 g tapioca starch/flour)
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) cornstarch (or try arrowroot)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan* well and set it aside.
- *Alternatively, multiply all of the ingredients in this recipe by 150% or 1.5. Follow the recipe instructions as written, but divide the batter between two 8-inch cake pans. Bake them for about 25 minutes or until the cakes have begun to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs attached.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl with a hand mixer), place the egg yolks and 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until pale yellow. Sift the flour blend, cornstarch and salt into the egg yolk mixture, and beat until well-combined. Transfer the egg yolk mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- Get full recipe==>>glutenfreeonashoestring.com