This creamy, decadent, spicy beer cheese soup is made with extra sharp white cheddar and american lager. spicy white cheddar beer cheese soup is the perfect comfort food served in a bread bowl!
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. jalapeno, chopped (remove seeds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of light beer (a light lager is preferable)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 Tbsp. black peppercorns, whole
- 1/2 Tbsp. caraway seeds (toasted if possible)
- small handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup half and half, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups of white cheddar cheese, shredded (adjust this to your liking!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (large) or 4 (small) bread bowls
- chives and chopped bacon, for garnish
- In a deep pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook until veggies become very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add flour, and stir continuously to avoid browning. Let the veggies and flour cook for a few minutes, as this will alleviate the "flour" taste from occurring in the soup. The consistency of the veggies and flour together should feel similar to a vegetable "paste" as you stir it.
- Get full recipe==>>aflavorjournal.com