Boldly flavored with ginger, lime & chili pepper, these Thai minced chicken lettuce cups touch all your taste sensations.
- 1 large head iceberg or butter lettuce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger (you'll need a thick 2-inch piece)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground chicken (not all breast meat)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (see note*)
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, from 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, from 1-1/2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 large scallions, white and green parts, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or peanuts
Optional For Serving
- Finely sliced carrots
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro and/or mint sprigs
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Place the head of lettuce on a cutting board; cut off the stem, then cut around the inner core of the lettuce and remove (do not cut all the way through the lettuce; just deep enough to remove the core). Discard the flimsy, ragged outer leaves and then place the head of lettuce in the bowl of water. Gently pull apart the leaves, then place them on a paper towel to dry. Cut any large leaves in half. Chill the lettuce cups in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Heat the oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Get full recipe==>>onceuponachef.com