Many parents are worried about what to feed during cold, cough in kids as children has lack of appetite during this phase. But a wholesome small meals and easily digestible diet is recommended to fight the infection and recover well. Talk to your baby’s doctor on these food options and plan a diet, also follow your baby’s cues and feed your baby which helps to quickly recover from this phase. Let’s get on to check the list of foods and recipes can be given during cold, cough and fever.
Bookmark this page for future reference as I will be updating this post on a regular basis. Click on each thumbnail image given below for the recipes. Choose recipes according to your baby’s age which is mentioned in the brackets along with recipe heading. Please refer to the notes section given at the end of post for the key points to remember before offering these foods to your baby during cold, cough and fever.
Please read here on home remedies for cold and cough and more information on cold in children and when to see a doctor.
How to feed your baby or toddler when he has cold and cough?
- For baby’s younger than 6 months, only breastfeeding or formula feeding is recommended during cold, cough and fever.
- For babies above 6 months, Give small and frequent meals.Prefer easily digestible foods, no oily & spicy foods.
- Don’t force the baby to eat, instead try to offer the foods he/she prefers.
- Make sure to give enough fluids like water, warm soups, fresh fruit juices (made with lukewarm water) in order to prevent the baby from dehydration.
- Give your toddler ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution) if your pediatrician prescribed the same.
- Foods to feed during cold and cough in babies, toddlers and Kids:
- Here is the video for the list of foods to offer during cold and cough in babies and kids.
Foods to feed during cold and cough in babies, toddlers and Kids:
Here is the video for the list of foods to offer during cold and cough in babies and kids.
Read further below on the detailed information and recipes of the foods to feed during cold and cough in children.
DRINKS OR BEVERAGES:
1. Breastfeeding (0 Months+) :
Breastfeeding is much recommended when the baby is sick, as antibodies in the breast milk helps to fight the baby illness and also it is easily digested. It’s especially important when your baby is less than 6 months.
If baby has runny nose and congested, breastfeeding the baby is little difficult, hence feed the baby in upright position & try using saline drops (after consulting with doctor) to clear out the runny nose before breastfeeding. That might help the baby to take the feed.
2. Barley Water (6 Months+):
Barley water is a world known remedy for cold, cough and even fever. But be sure to feed your baby with barely water in moderation and make sure your family has no history of allergy to gluten. Make barley water thick by adding less water and feed warm when your baby is down with cold or fever. Check out barley water recipe here:
3. Rice Gruel (6 Months+):
Rice gruel/Rice water/Watery rice soup is an another common home remedy for treating cold and fever, as it helps to boost the immune system. It’s also a natural energy drink for the child who is fighting the infection. Check out rice gruel recipe here:
More Foods to Offer During Cold & Cough in Babies, Toddlers and Kids==>>gkfooddiary.com