I’ve noticed that one of the most popular ways of preparing Brussels sprouts seems to be with bacon, so why not try a vegan version using tofu bacon?
The smokiness from the tofu bacon works so well with the Brussels sprouts. For this recipe, I used the same pan to firstly crisp up the tofu bacon bits and then pan-fry red onion and parboiled Brussels sprouts; this allowed the vegetables to take on more of the smoked paprika flavour for an all round full-flavoured vegan side dish.
- 200g Brussels sprouts, cleaned
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 100g uncooked tofu bacon (for details and recipe link see notes above), cut into small 1cm cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, lower the heat slightly and add the sprouts to the pan. Boil for around 3-4 minutes until they have softened slightly. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add one tablespoon of the olive oil to a frying pan. Heat over a medium high heat then add the cubes of marinated tofu. Cook for around 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cubes are crispy on all edges. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Get full recipe==>>natalietamara.co.uk